Production and Operations Management - NCTU IBM
Production and Operations Management
by Professor Jin-Li Hu
Institute of Business and Management, National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan
Course ID IBM 6006
Course Name Production and Operations Management
Credit hours 3
Instructor Jin-Li Hu
Textbooks Stevenson, W.J. (2014), Operations Management, 12th ed., Boston: McGraw-Hill Irwin.
Objective of the Course
This course provides basic trainings in management science to the first-year MBA students. Both modeling techniques and conceptual frameworks will be introduced. The students are required to propose and undertake term projects based on real activities.
This course is designed for regular MBA students who need to write a master thesis and experience projects with real production and operations. In order to pursue globalization for university education in Taiwan, this course will be taught in English. The POWERPOINT files used during the lecture are also in English. However, the homework answers, midterm proposal, oral presentation, and project reports can be in Chinese. The term project should be based on real activities or venture and innovation projects (VIP).
- Competitiveness, Strategy, and Productivity
- Product and Service Design--- and also Reliability
- Capacity Planning --- and also Decision Theory
- Process Selection and Facility Layout --- and also Linear Programming
- Design of Work Systems --- and also Learning Curves
- Location Planning and Analysis --- and also the Transportation Model
- Quality Control --- and also Acceptance Sampling
- TQM and Quality Tools
- Supply Chain and Management --- and also Purchasing and Supplier Management
- Inventory Management
- Aggregate Planning
- MRP and ERP
- Just-in-Time Systems --- and also Maintenance
- Project Management
- Waiting Lines --- and also Simulation
Class attendance and in-class discussion (25%), homework (25%), project proposal (10%), oral presentation (20%), written final report (20%)
- Management Science, http://mansci.pubs.informs.org/.
- Operations Research, http://or.pubs.informs.org/.
- Journal of Operations Management, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/02726963.
- International Journal of Production Economics, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/09255273.
- Omega, http://www.omegajournal.org/.
- Total Quality Management and Business Excellence, http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/14783363.html.
- European Journal of Operational Research, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/03772217.